View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
There needs to be a threshold fee that will get someone with some level of competence to call a game. The issue may be that the varsity pay is not enough, rather than the sub-varsity pay is too high.

Perhaps, also, the issue is whether the officials in your board believe working varsity is itself more stimulating, challenging or otherwise rewarding than working JV

Give me a crappy paying good game over a well-paying lousy game any day.
There already is no such threshold. Schools hire their own sub-varsity officials and most times they're just looking for a licensed body. To get a license here you simply send a check and are supposed to take (annually) the Part I test open book and watch a 30 minute rules video online. If you don't watch the video or take the test, though, you don't lose your license -- you just can't work up the chain of levels in this state (6 levels of officials, MASTER being the highest). There's no requirement to play the state's level game to work varsity games, either -- assignors and schools can hire any licensed official. There's no requirement to join an officials association, either.

Last week I saw two guys working freshman games wearing Adidas trackpants (complete with 3 white stripes down the sides), white sneakers, collared shirts, and metal pea whistles. Their abilities as officials matched their appearance.

Just got me thinking -- why should these guys get $40-$45 each for this? This is how some people dress and officiate working rec ball at $20 - $25 a game.