Thread: ASA obstruction
View Single Post
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 01:45pm
In Time Out

This thread has gotten long and heated, but may I point out some things that may help clarify why obstruction is a delayed dead ball?

Consider the application of the rule with the scenario changed. If the run down is between 2nd. & 3rd., whether obstructed or not, the runner could not only advance to 3rd., but also home. And all trailing runners could attempt to do so too, and possibly be legally put out. Also, if the obstructed runner ever reaches the next base (as a part of the rundown, or afterwards, after the defense goes after another runner), obstruction is removed. Protection is no longer needed, as she advanced in spite of the obstruction. And the runner now on 3rd. could then try for home, and possibly be put out.

So an immediate dead ball could potentially penalize both the defense and the offense. Perhaps this will help with understanding why the rule is the way it is.

As to differing penalties, I agree, I wish the several bodies could be more consistant, on a number of matters. It would help reduce the confusion wherever umpires, coaches, players, fans, media, etc. are involved with more than 1 sanction & level. But that has been beat to death here before.