View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2012, 06:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Two problems with this ... A) do we think that every other blocker in every other situation also needs to use minimal force to move their opponent? If not (and I hope your answer is not), then why do we expect it from THIS blocker? B) it required the blocker moving at top speed to get to the defender when he did - is there now some expectation that he can stop his full-speed charge and just tap the defender? If so, why. I'm not just saying this shouldn't be a foul now under current rules, but also saying it should NEVER be a foul. Yes, it's a hard hit... but outlawing this simply means it makes it easier for defenders to escape blockers.

For A) No. I just think he would have been able to. So if we disagree then that's fine.

For B) If the rule was definitively such that everybody would call this a foul then he would have to slow down and try something else.

No doubt It would make it easier for defenders to escape blockers. But it would apply equally to both teams and both offenses would have to deal with it.