Thread: ASA obstruction
View Single Post
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
The ASA and NFHS version is better than PONY or OBR because it reflects protecting the runner, not penalizing anyone unnecessarily.

Also, the "would have reached" judgement is made after the play, never at the moment of the obstruction.
Oh - that's different!

So, let's see if I got this right.

A runner is trapped between 3rd and home. The runner is obstructed during a phase of the rundown where she is clearly heading in the direction of 3rd base. Yet, the rundown continues for several more throws with the runner reversing directions several times. Ultimately, the runner is tagged out in the vicinity of home and while advancing in that direction.

Now, having said all that - are you saying that the umpire can award her home on the bases that she "would have reached" home had the obstruction not occurred?

Tough sell.

I think it's pretty obvious in the scenario above, the only logical award under the ASA "would have reached" criteria is 3rd base. Awarding home would be completely illogical since the effects of the obstruction would be rendered moot by the length of the continuation of play following the obstruction.

And this is why I think it is rather senseless to allow the play to continue. Killing the play and awarding the runner home would be logical.

Oddly, NFHS high school rules also allow the play to continue (like ASA), but the runner is ALWAYS going to be awarded the NEXT base. So, at a minimum, the defense at least can abort the rundown and focus on the other runners and not be forced to get a runner "out" who can never be out. As soon as the obstruction is signaled, the defense KNOWS that the runner is awarded home. In ASA, once they know that obstruction has been called, they won't know what the umpire's intended award is going to be ... so they have to play on assuming that the award will be to the LAST base ... so they have to prevent her from advancing by getting her "out" ... which really amounts to nothing more than returning to 3rd.

I maintain ... it's really kind of illogical.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN