Thread: ASA obstruction
View Single Post
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Scenario: Runner trapped in a rundown between 3rd and home. The runner is obstructed.

In ASA, unlike other sets of rules, all forms of obstruction result in a delayed deadball. The signal is for the umpire to extend a clenched fist parallel to the ground.

In my opinion, this is an umpire signal. I don't think players, coaches, or fans would recognize or notice that signal.
You don't give them enough credit. In my experience, from local rec ball to international play, those folks are very aware of this signal.

Quote:
So, in all likelihood, the rundown would continue even though there is no possibility that this runner can ever be put out while trapped between these two bases. Kind of silly, really, if you think about it. (That's just a bit of editorializing that is not relevant to the question I'm about to ask.)
It's only silly if you don't understand the rule. Obstruction is a rule meant to protect runners when their progress is impeded, most often unintentionally, by a defender. It is a matter of protection, not penalty.

Obstruction only protects that one runner. That doesn't mean that the defense loses the opportunity to make an out on another, unobstructed runner. If you kill the ball, you are denying the offense of advancing and possibly scoring.

Quote:
To which base is this runner awarded? How is that determined?

Let's say the runner was scampering back toward third when obstructed. The rundown continues and the runner is ultimately tagged out at the plate. What is the award?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
The award is applied after the obstructed runner is put out or all play is obviously complete. The obstructed runner, and any other runner the umpire judges to have been affected by the obstruction, is awarded the base to which the umpire believes they would have attained had the obstruction not occurred.

In your scenario, it seems to be 3B, but under your belief that ASA rules are often wrong because they do not get situation-specific enough as that fustercluck of a rulebook, OBR does, you would have the play ruled dead and that runner loses the chance to score which isn't as impossible as many believe.

BTW, I believe we have had this discussion a couple of times, either here or over in McGriffs the last couple of years. I think the answer has always been the same.