View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Simultaneous Free Throw Violation

One of those things you read about but never think you'll go through. Well, we went through it last night.

I'm filling in on a boys freshman game.

33-32 team A leading, 10 seconds left.

A1 is at the line for the first of bonus free throws (1-and-1). A1 releases the shot, and B5 steps into the lane before the ball hits the rim. I'm L on the endline and give the prelim signal. Ball bounces off the rim, high in the air, then bounces again off the rim and B2 grabs it.

I blow my whistle, announce the violation on B and re-administer the foul shot. A1 makes the first free throw, misses the second. B rebounds, dribbles down the floor and misses a last second shot to tie it up.

We get back in the locker room and my partner says "I'm sure glad you blew that violation on B, because the ball hit the basket support up top off that same free throw."

We should have had a simultaneous violation and gone with the arrow, I says. He's not sure so we go digging through the rule book, and sure enough, there's 9-1-4.

Even worse, while we're digging through the rule book, one of the JV officials is overhearing our conversation in the locker room and says "Oh, I wouldn't overthink it. I'd just call the violation on B and get it over with. I mean, no coach is going to like that answer."

I answered back with "I don't care what the coach thinks, I'm getting it right."

No surprise that this guy has been a JV coach for the past 8 seasons...he picked the stripes back up this year.