View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:21pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I always get a kick out of places who essentially turn away quality varsity-level officials because they tell them they have to work sub-varsity for an arbitrary amount of time.

I know that if I moved somewhere and was told I needed to work 7 years before becoming a full varsity official, my career would be over.

I'm not saying that I'd expect to not be evaluated -- I'd be happy to be seen 1, 2, 4, or 10 times my first season -- whatever they wanted -- but saying that an official, no matter how good, would need to work freshman games to "pay his dues" is ridiculous.

(I ran into something like that when I moved here, BTW. I was able to work a varsity schedule right away but I had to wait 3 years before I was post-season eligible even after 15 years of varsity experience in other states.)
If someone moved here (Southern Nevada...Las Vegas) and could work I would give them games next week. The fact that I already have next week scheduled is my only exaggeration in that statement.

I have a guy right now who just moved here and really isn't as polished as my top 6 officials (in my crew). But, he has been great with his participation and is flexible. I feel like I have to show him some loyalty and work with him to the point where I can comfortably put him on the court for some varsity contests.