Thread: Balk or not?
View Single Post
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fguyton
This pitcher pitches for my son's team, so I've seen him pitch a lot. In all cases except this one he has thrown to 2nd (or where ever the runner is). I also know that this is his first season pitching with runners leading off. I'm pretty sure this was not a planned event but rather instinct... or maybe panic ;-)

One of the reasons I threw this question into play is because I can't believe that at some point someone hasn't or isn't going to do this as a planned move when runners are getting large leads. They could have F4 and F6 ignore R1 so as to temp R1 to take off... F1 simply steps and throws to F5 and R1 is hung up. Legal? Seems so under FED.

Is legal under FED! F1 is making a play on advancing runner.

I thought it was weird too when I started calling FED, but, the rule is the rule.

As far as: They could have F4 and F6 ignore R1 so as to temp R1 to take off... F1 simply steps and throws to F5 and R1 is hung up.

What is the difference if F1 lifts leg and turns and steps to 2nd without throwing, and catches runner leading off?

When I was playing, we had that play!

Catcher (my brother), with F4 and F6 not holding runner on 2nd with big lead, gives signal which I (pitcher) would then spin and throw to F4 who dashes to the base.

Runner thought twice b4 leading off that much again, especially when we picked him off!