View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Whether the player towards whom the ball is thrown is intended to be able to play it or not is not a factor. Do you think that a thrower tossing the ball off an opponent's back during a throw-in and then stepping inbounds and grabbing the ball is illegal?
That's a completely different situation as the thrower-in does not have a potential requirement to keep his pivot foot on the floor if he doesn't perform a pass.

Quote:
In this case the ball was passed towards a teammate and it even struck him in flight. There can't even be confusion due to it being a bounce pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG
Because he threw the ball to another player. You read too much into intent or whatever his teammate was suppose to get the ball.
Eh, he threw the ball at his teammate. I'll admit to parsing between at and to, but it seems an important distinction to me.

Stepping outside of the rules for a second, he in no way meant to pass the ball to his teammate, he was simply trying not to travel yet maintain possession. The spirit of what he did is, imho, against the spirit of the game.

I don't think I'd call it or expect it to be called that way (unless it becomes a really popular tactic) but I do think it's a technical (or if you prefer, ticky-tack) violation.