View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Kevin Love passes off of his teammate?s back purposely to keep a play alive (VIDEO) | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports

At NevedaRef's request, I'm splitting out this question from the PC foul? thread.

Is everyone considering it a pass when he bounces the ball off his teammate at the start of the clip? Any consideration at all for illegal dribble for having his pivot foot off the floor when he pushes the ball?

I don't think this meets the definition of a pass "A pass is movement of the ball . . . to another player." Touching another player has nothing to do with whether it's a pass or not. It can be a pass and not touch and can touch and not be a pass.

I don't think there was any intent for his teammate to be able to play the ball at all.
Whether the player towards whom the ball is thrown is intended to be able to play it or not is not a factor. Do you think that a thrower tossing the ball off an opponent's back during a throw-in and then stepping inbounds and grabbing the ball is illegal?

In this case the ball was passed towards a teammate and it even struck him in flight. There can't even be confusion due to it being a bounce pass.