View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

I went to the PBUC school last January and found it terrific -its first class and only 35 of us (you won't find that small a class ever again at a pro school!). At my age, I did not go there to find a job in MiLB, just to improve... (And a bucket list kind of thing, too.)

It's only four weeks compared to Wendelstedt's five week program, but it's a full four weeks Monday thru Saturday. Generally, rules and mechanics classroom instruction in the AM and field/cage mechanics in the PM with two or more occasional evening meetings every week (to review videos, for example). You're trained by the top MiLB umpire/evaluators (many who have had MLB experience). You're housed, fed, and taught right there in "Dodgertown" - now the Vero Beach Sports Complex. It's a great all-in-one campus and the closeness of everyone there makes for great comradery. (I remember the times when several of us would get together and go out onto the fields in the evening to practice our mechanics under the lights, sometimes just a light.)

One thing for sure at these pro schools, you will be stripped of much of what you have learned before and begin with instruction in the basics (fundamentals) to get you on a solid professional footing...