View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

This goes to another fundamental difference we have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This wouldn't be the only case play where the Fed used faulty wording in the "ruling" section to arrive at their desired ruling.
The written word can easily be interpreted in a way the writer did not intend. People infer things. I think this is one of the problems with the LGP debate. The rule does not say LGP is only required for a moving player. That is something that some have inferred from what they have read.

There has to be a way to correct a misunderstanding in the rule book. Sometimes that occurs through the use of a case play. For example, the rules regarding the jump ball and where the players can stand and what they can do is a little confusing until you read the case plays. At least it was for me when I FIRST started officiating. Also, remember, the Case Play book has as much authority as the rule book. As least, if I remember correctly, there is some such language in front of the case book.

How can we say the Case Book is wrong and the rule book is correct when they are written by the same committee? How do you know that the case play was not written to clarify the misunderstanding of the rule book?

I think it is dangerous to say that the case book is wrong and that the rule book is correct. If that's the case then some of the case plays regarding the jump ball are wrong because the rule book doesn't clearly indicate what the writer is trying to say.

Then we have official interps that come out. This I believe should take precedence over the case book and the rule book.

If the rule book and case book don't agree how do you know which one is correct?

I think its wrong to assume that the rule book is correct and the case book or official interp is wrong. Remember, they all come from the same organization.

Let me give you an example from softball. Anyone who has done ASA softball for 10 years or more will remember that the ASA rule book had a mistake in it regarding the dropped third strike rule. The official interp had it correct. If we take the approach that the rule book is the gospel and the case book and official interps are supplemental and subject to the rule book then we would not allow a runner to run to 1st in some circumstances. The rule book was clearly wrong.