View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And that B2 was MOVING, not stationary.
No B2 was stationary in my OP. In the Case Play below movement is inferred by many people and I agree that it is not an unrealistic inference. However, let me draw your attention to this part of the ruling. See highlighted portion below.

SITUATION 13: A1 is dribbling near the sideline when B1 obtains legal guarding position. B1 stays in the path of A1 but in doing so has (a) one foot touching the sideline or (b) one foot in the air over the out-of-bounds area when A1 contacts B1 in the torso. RULING: In (a), B1 is called for a blocking foul because a player may not be out of bounds and obtain or maintain legal guarding position. In (b), A1 is called for a player-control foul because B2 had obtained and maintained legal guarding position. (4-23-2; 4-23-3a)

The ruling clearly states that you can not obtain LGP while out of bounds. That is my OP that I mentioned. Movement is absolutely not necessary to obtain LGP. To obtain you must have two feet on the floor (inbounds) facing your opponent. This can be while moving and this can be while stationary.
A player may also have to move to obtain it but he does not obtain it until both feet are on the floor inbounds while he is facing his opponent.

So, once again, let me give you my play.

Step 1: B2 is guarding A2. He has LGP on A2.
Step 2: A1 beats B1 off of the dribble, near the sideline.
Step 3: B2 moves to cut off A1's path. One foot is off the floor as he is moving. He DOES NOT HAVE LGP on A1 at this time because he does not have both feet on the floor facing his opponent.
Step 4: He comes down with one foot in bounds and one foot out of bounds. He is stationary. He does not have LGP.
Step 5: A1 is unable to avoid running into B2.
Step 6: Ruiling: Block. Why? Because you can't be out of bounds when obtaining LGP.

Answer me this question. Does a player have to be moving to obtain LGP or can a stationary player obtain LGP?