Thread: Steps on Layup
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 07, 2012, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

99% of people associated with basketball can't state the rules for traveling. They can only tell it doesn't look right. Which is not good.

I played bball for years and in college and had no idea the actual rules for traveling "only that it looks like a travel "

I had to read the rules over and over for it to make sense. Who ever wrote them was very smart, at first I thought "this can't be right"

The hardest thing to grasp is : 1. catching a dribble, the dribble ends when you catch the ball (i.e. gather or control) 2) when one foot is on floor and you catch dribble the foot on the floor is not the pivot until the other foot touches in step ( does that make clear sense) 3) if you catch a dribble with one foot on floor you can jump off of that foot and land on 2 simultneously there is no pivot
Art. 3. A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:

a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot;
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both; neither foot can be the pivot foot.
b. When one foot is on the playing court:
1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step;
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both; neither foot can then be the pivot foot

I think this video clearly covers these concepts and I would bet "rekent" is not totally clear on this.

I think this video clearly covers these concepts