View Single Post
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I am from Iowa and went to ISU. I've heard often that Larry likes to hit the bottle pretty hard at times so I don't doubt that he has a problem with alcohol. I'm really upset that he is on the verge of losing his job over it. The way I understand it, the university had asked him about the photos earlier this year and took care of it behind closed doors. Now that it's a national story, he's on the hotseat over the same issue again. I question why it took so long for the pictures to surface. I got them on email at the beginning of Feb. I also wonder about the "inappropriate" things said to girls at the party. If it was that inappropriate, why didn't they come forward in the beginning rather that wait until it's a big story? I am hoping that the university keeps him on to send a message to the media that they can't use publicity to force coaching changes (which in my mind is what's happening). Alcoholism is a disease difficult to deal with. The university can either help him get over it by keeping him around or kick the man while he's down and let him go. I don't think his claiming alcoholism is to help him keep his job. He's not the type of person to make a comment like that unless he means it. He was wrong to be in that situation, but I don't think he deserves to be fired over it. Sorry this is so long, but I've been disgusted with the media over this story all week. He's a good coach (although as an official, I hate the way he wanders all over the court during the game), he deserves a chance to get himself together.