View Single Post
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
This and a dollar will get you coffee and a donut:
Coach E may very well BE an alcoholic. The jury is still out on that. Judging by the time line, he "Came To Jesus" at a very interesting time. If ISU has a good PR guy they have one of two options. 1) Can him. They will not be faulted for getting rid of a guy who MAY relapse. Relapse is usually the rule not the exception. So if/when he does, the school will be blamed for "sweeping it under the carpet". 2) Give him a year's "Leave of Absence". I would say put the associate HC in his place, but they have gone and suspended him. If after a year he has stayed dry, welcome him back and promote it as a great example of facing and overcoming your demons. (If he does relapse, you are not on the hook for anything) Parents will not be hesitant to send their kids to a person such as this. It becomes the "Feel Good Story of the Year" and possible "After School Special."
If I am working in Coach E's law firm, I suggest that he work out a settlement, and walk away from ISU "with great sorrow and regret". If he truly is an alcoholic, a year or two away would GREATLY increase his chances at overcoming this problem and learning to live with it. If he stays sober, and the press will let us know if he hasn't, he becomes VERY marketable. Everyone loves these types of stories and with his record, he should find a job w/o a problem.
JMHO