View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 31, 2012, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Player control scenario

This situation came up last night during a NCAA-W D2 exhibition game. I would greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts. I am in the T position. Here's the lead-up:

A1 dribbling the ball in A's frontcourt (my PCA) while being defended by B1. B1 reaches in (no contact) and knocks the ball loose. The ball deflects hard off A1's leg and is bouncing toward the endline. I stay with the ball, unsure if L has seen the deflection and want to make sure we get the OOB call correct. B2 comes from the corner and jumps, intercepting the ball before it lands out of bounds and throwing it back on the court. From my perspective, the ball clearly came to rest on B2's hand before she threw it back onto the court ... so I turned to the shot clock operator who was right next to me and said, "That's a reset." She responded by resetting the shot clock to 30 and then starting it when A1 received the ball on the save from B2.

After the game in the dressing room, the L asked me why I had the shot clock reset and I explained to him what I had seen. He disagreed, indicating that he didn't believe B2 had actually possessed the ball long enough for it to be considered control regardless of whether or not it had come to rest in her palm. We had a spirited discussion and reviewed the appropriate rules.

Rule 2-11:
Art. 6. Stop the timing device and reset it:
a. When team control is re-established after the team loses possession of the
ball;
Note: The mere touching of the ball by an opponent does not start a new
shot-clock period when the same team remains in control of the ball.

Rule 4-15:
Art. 1. A player shall be in control when:
a. Holding a live ball; or
b. Dribbling a live ball while inbounds.

Right call or wrong call?