Thread: OBS or Tag Up
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I would not go inside on this particular play unless I noticed my partner staying at home (he shouldn't, but it could happen). It makes your tag-up angle at 2nd worse, and takes BR completely out of your vision. If you're at B, and take a few steps toward 2nd (toward whatever angle on the catch and 2nd base you feel is ideal for you), you can glance at 1st base for the touch and possible OBS. Obviously, if BR's approach of first base coincides with the catch, you aren't going to get it except for VERY peripherally (and maybe not even that), but at least you're in the best spot for the tag AND for possibly checking 1st base.
I'm confused.
I don't see how outside makes the tag up angle worse, especially coming from left side.
To me, getting inside, facing 2nd with 1st and left field seen peripherally would cover all and not be in any throwing lane.
Yes, if PU stays home, an angle switch to face 2nd & 3rd would be needed. In that case, PU is off 3rd base line, able to look toward 1st as usual.