View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 03:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
I should clarify...on OP I didn't do a good job explaining second play...LOD on 2 pt. conversion attempt that fails...iow, incomplete pass during a play on which A committed OPI....don't replay down, but do you still assess yardage for penalty?

First play, A65 caught thrown ball behind line of scrimmage and ran down field where he was tackled. I would guess the debate was first where the ball was caught because I think behind LOS is touching and beyond is OPI, if I remember what I read in the book.
*7.5.13 SITUATION A:

Ineligible receiver A2 is behind, in or beyond his neutral zone when a forward pass by A1:

(a) accidentally strikes him in the back; or
(b) is muffed by him; or
(c) is caught by him.

RULING: In (a), there is no foul for illegal touching. In (b) and (c), it is illegal touching and if beyond the line of scrimmage, would also be offensive pass interference. The acts in both (b) and (c) are intentional and not accidental as in (a).

COMMENT: Game officials should be very clear in explaining penalty options if the same act constitutes more than one foul as listed above, as each of the fouls has a different penalty.

It's actually both illegal touching and OPI if beyond the LOS.

Last edited by tjones1; Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 03:45pm.