View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 02:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am really not disagreeing with BNR. I am just pointing out that we are mostly independent contractors (or should be) and it is up to us to decide if we will do business with someone (an association) further based on the fees involved. In my area, we pay a $5 fee for our Arbiter and we belong to the largest consortium of assignors that use the Arbiter system across the country and that is a sore spot for everyone around here. But if you want games do you not pay the fee?

I think transparency is key and best, but if they do not tell you all the fees, then you either continue with that group or go to another that does.

Peace
All associations in WA use arbiter, we have to. It is mandated by the State. So we all knew up front what was going on...our local association was one of the first to use arbiter...BUT, we voted on it before hand and knew that we would be charged the user fee and it would be taken out of our checks. The whole thing was up front and above reproach.

Good friend of mine in a different western state got his first check, noticed that his %deducted per game had gone up from 8% to 10%, and asked why...he was told that the increase was to cover the user fee for arbiter...no way it costs that much per person, and no way they should have sprung it on them without being up front about it. And the next closest association to where he lives is over 100 miles away.