View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

First Playoff Football Game

This was my second year doing high school football after 10 years of baseball and basketball officiating. I was lucky enough to join a great football crew this season and we received a playoff game for last night.

We had a very competitive game throughout the evening and we called a good game (IMO). Had two uncommon plays though. Play 1: The quarterback rolls out on a draw play and hurdles the cornerback. We had to discuss the proper penalty and signal. Play 2: Team A lines up for a punt in the third quarter. As the ball is snapped, I (LJ) turn to run down field and see the coach entirely in the restricted area. I dropped my flag and continued with the play. After a 40 yard return, I communicate with my R that I have a sideline warning. The L from the other side of the field comes running over and reports a sideline warning as well. Oh boy...{please note we screwed the pooch on this one} we offset the penalties and played the down. After the game I was thinking about it and said to myself, "Sideline warnings are nonplayer fouls. You treat nonplayer and unsportsmanlike fouls like dead ball fouls. Therefore, we should have accessed them in order of occurrence not offset them." Simple mistake that didn't affect the overall outcome but will be something I'll never screw up again.

Anyways, just wanted to thank the forum for all the help over the years. Glad I stumbled onto the forum in 2005 while in college. This is an invaluable asset to my officiating career.

-Josh