View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 09:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

I work basketball as well as football and there's a case play that involves a team (B) trying to stop a team (A) from inbounding after a made goal when there's less than 5 seconds left on the clock, the clock is running, and B is out of timeouts. The officials are to ignore the violation/TF and keep the clock running.

Personally, I'd like to think I'd have enough clock awareness to step in between the players and let the clock expire without running another play. I'd pass on the foul and let the clock run.

There is a difference between this happening in the middle of the second quarter and with 6.7 seconds left in the game when A has no time outs remaining.

My only concern with this method is this -- what if A is able to get to the line and spike it with time still on the clock EVEN WITH the clock still running? Now A is 15 yards closer than they should be and it's impossible to put the genie back into the bottle. I think it's one of these situations where we have to be sure that A can't get off another play. If we're not, we need to kill it, enforce the foul, and then decide if we're going to allow A to run another play. I'd be tempted to spot the football and wind the clock quickly in this situation.