Thread: Directives
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'm talking specifically about block/charge or pass/crass situations where the defender "flops" but causes himself & the shooter or passer to fall in the paint. Bracing ones self or backing up (after obtaining LGP) for imminent contact is not what I'm speaking of.

I know last year, guys on the Forum were saying a flop w/contact doesnt have to be a block... even if it causes both players to land in the paint.

So far, I've done a couple scrimmages, 1 meeting (two different leagues) & I've heard the same thing, bodies down requires a whistle.

The "know how they got to the floor" concept still allows officials to put their personal interpretation on the play. The defender flopped so I know how he got there but I still choose not to call the play, even though we have 2 bodies laying in the paint as he uses the unauthorized "get up" signal.

Had a play early in 2 different scrimmages where we called the flop a block & it was so wonderful to hear the coach say, "they arent allowing it, stop flopping & move your feet!"

Had we no-called the first one, then called the second one & maybe no called another, that is what leads to an inconsistent game.

IMO, no calling it encourages the defense to try the fool the referee play again.
Calling the flop a block makes it stop.

Last edited by tref; Mon Oct 22, 2012 at 01:33pm.