View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In many areas, the assignor works for the association. I worked for an association where we had to pay 11% of the game fee to the assignor and he only assigned to the association -- nobody else.

He's not "the boss." The association hires him, so he works for the association. The board decided who will assign and how much he will get -- so it's absolutely the business of membership how much the assignor makes and it should be public. And if the membership doesn't like how much he's getting, they should be able to replace the board with people willing to make the decision to pay the assignor less.
Sure, they could easily do that. But that really isn't the discussion. The primary point of this thread was about which way to arrange to arrange the dollars, not so much about how much they get paid. In the case where the schools are doing the hiring, it really isn't the officials business to know how much they are getting.

If they are paid from the board, it would be.

As I've said before, the way it is divided really doesn't make a hill of beans difference. 2 + 2 is 4. Regardless whether the $4 comes from one source or $2 comes from two sources, the net is the same. (made up numbers just to make the point).

Quote:
And still, many associations try to hide how much the assignor makes to keep others from organizing and voting the board out of office. Amazes me how much politics are involved.
It is more about envy than politics. Assignors can make a decent amount of money....more than some people make in their day jobs. I really wouldn't want dozens of people always trying to disrupt the organization and take it over. That never works well.

Quote:
I recognize that some areas, including where you live, have assignors-for-life who don't seem to answer to anyone and who have the fear of membership. I find that unfortunate.
Not sure what you're talking about here. No one fears our commissioner. He is very well respected (not by all, but by most). He's only been an assignor because he's generally done a very good job. He's had completion over the years but most of the would be challengers were laughable. No one felt they could do the job. If a good candidate had run for the position, who knows what would have happened.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 04:30am.