View Single Post
Old Thu May 01, 2003, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Once again the "arrogant" tag has been slapped on me.
Lately I've been working some AAU and other things to stay in shape both physically and mentally so that when I go to Camps this summer I'm not behind the eight ball.
The guy assigning called me last night to give me more games and asked me about an incident that happened last Friday.
Here's the sitch....

Team from small town playing 5A (big school) team.
Small town team is good however and it is a tight game at half, (27-24 big school) but small town team only has 5 players.

About midway through 2nd half, one of the kids on STT, makes a comment about the quality of our officiating skills, and so I "T" him up. This is followed by the usual
"play ball and leave the reffing to us" statement.
Player won't leave it alone and so I issue the second "T" and toss him.
Now Coach (parent,volunteer) from STT stands up and says,
"WE ONLY HAVE 5 PLAYERS" so the kid tries to stay on the floor. I say "I don't care (ok, sounds arrogant) that the kid made the choice to say what he said and he's gone!"
Now, Coach from 5A team wants to be nice and tried to play with only 4 players. I don't allow it. So now Coach from STT make the comment to my partner that we are a bunch of "sissys". I must admit I don't think I've ever been called that before.
"T" from my partner, and Coach starts to head out the door!
I ask my partner if he tossed him, and he says, "Nope, he's leaving on his own." He actually didn't leave but stood in the doorway to the gym. As usual parents in the stand are making comment like, "WAY TO TAKE IT AWAY FROM THE KIDS", "NOBODY IS HERE TO SEE YOU", blah,blah,blah....
More discussion with 5A team about not allowing him to only use 4 players if he has 5 available.
Now Coach from STT in the doorway says "WHY DON'T WE JUST FINISH WITHOUT THE REFS!" SNAP! Back to reality! I've just got my ticket to leave this crap and go home!!!!
So I yell to my partner that we're leaving. His back hurts (not from carrying me however) so he's not arguing. I go to my bag and start to put my stuff away when the Site Super. comes over and tells us that we can't leave. He was actually pretty cool. I tell him that in order for us to stay, STT Coach needs to leave the Gym. He assures me that he'll take care of it.
Long story short, I finally tell the site Super. that if he wants to let 5A team finish with 4, then it's his call and I'll abide by it. Game finishes 4 on 4 and STT wins by three!

Anyway.....
Just telling incident to set up arrogance topic.
So assigner tells me that over the past couple of Tourny's, there have several complaints about me.
Some buzz words used..
Arrogant.
Cocky.
Bigger than the game. (I always like that one)
Acts like he's doing us a favor my being here. (another favorite)
According to assigner, "Nobody questions your ability" (calls etc.)
So, anway, I told him " Fine, if you don't want me to work, that's fine with me!!!"
He still wants me to work, just wanted to let me know the "feedback" he's gotten.

Anway, have any of you ever been slapped with the "arrogant" tag, and what did you change (if anything) to get rid of it.
Thanks, and sorry for the novella.
Drake