View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I always thought not catching the coin was what led to the NFL's coin toss fiasco a few years back. I almost always catch (sometimes I use a coin that's too large to catch). I catch two handed, left on bottom and right on top. That way I can repeat the captain's call before the result of the flip is known.

Also, I stopped using my thumb to flip the coin. I hold the coin by the edge between my thumb and index finger and toss it into the air so it flips. That gives better control for the catch.
We're here to talk shop, so....I always let it hit the ground and I tell both sets of captains exactly that after I get choice of H or T from spokesman beforehand so no one squeezes in and gets in the way. In the event of playing in a mudpit I would consider catching it, but I watched too many guys along the way over the years that flipped it into the captains, flipped it over behind himself or into the captains in a 40+ mph wind, fumbled and dropped it on a cold day, etc...and I just think it looks better and leaves any additional issues from arising. Ref almost gets a handle on it and slaps it on his hand...one captain or the other sees it before it slips off into the grass and WH never got a look at it and now you have to reflip after the captain may have already seen he should've won the toss. "Coach...the ref dropped it after I saw heads and we lost the toss on the second flip."

No thanks.

Just my take.