View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Worst weather I've had was not overly cold - just wind and rain. 9th grade A and B games. Most of the field was covered in at least an inch of water, some more than that. The wind was right in my (HL) face most of the time, and I had trouble standing up. Two plays and two penalties in, we informed both coaches we were going to be lenient on movement by the offense as it was difficult to stay set for everyone. There were actually small visible waves in the water on the ground and centers had trouble holding onto the ball. After the first pass, no one tried that again. After the first punt, no one tried that again either (about 8 yards and out of bounds, even though he didn't shank it). Every tackle or slip ended with players sliding several yards. We, the officials, fell several times.

The worse part was the chains. They simply could not stay in one place with those windcatchers. Coach on that side had an idea and we tried it. Messy but it worked... He had three players from the other team (B during the A game, A during the B game) wear orange jerseys. They would set the chains normally, and then put them down and just stand there on their spots. After a little experimentation and a suggestion from the other side, we had 2 short kids be the chain, and a tall kid as the down marker.

Both coaches were good sports - it was a mess, but I think all the kids enjoyed themselves.

West Houston Mike