View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Knowing you both and not being the one thinking what you two are writing, I think I may see a discrepancy - and that both of your are right. (Course, I could be wrong too!!!)

Welpe said "Pushing by the ball carrier is legal, striking is not", but he meant (in referring to the OP) in the head/helmet.

Jeff said, "Never read anything that suggest they cannot "throw their arm" at a defender when the defender is running at them. "... at a DEFENDER. Yes, that's legal ... just don't throw your arm at their head/helmet.

Jeff also said, "I guess I take issue with the usage of the term "strike." If you are extending your arm at a defender that is coming, on some level you are "striking" the defender. And if I am lowering my shoulder into an upright defender, is that not technically a "strike." " Again ... into the defender, at a defender... that's not what (I think) Welpe was meaning to say.

Stiff arming toward the helmet is legal, but in that case the hand is moving no faster than the ballcarrier himself. I don't think any of us would fail to flag a runner for a headslap or an uppercut. (Correct me if I'm misreading you).

West Houston Mike