View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I should clarify that the under normal circumstances (your first quote; not screened) I won't ever. If after making a legitimate effort to see something and I cannot, I'll happily glance; doesn't mean I'll take it, but I'll consider what you have to say.

In the past years of officiating, I've never taken a ball handling suggestion of any R2 if that helps give you any indication on how much that's practiced (it's usually newer officials that do this). I rarely put myself in a position as to where I can't judge something on my own. I do, however, tell my partners if I give them the deer in the headlight look, to be prepared, but I haven't had to give that yet. *knock on wood*

So to answer your question, no. In good practice and normal circumstances, no I won't. However, if something hits the fan quickly and I'm unable to form my own opinion on the matter because circumstances beyond my control, I'll take a glance.

Much like volleyball, this isn't a black and white answer. I'll tell you the practice favors black though.