View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 14, 2012, 12:10am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Quote:
Questions-
A.With a ball rolling onto your court from another court in a set-up such as this do you automatically whistle for a replay?
B.I worked this match without flags-In a flag scenario if my R1 is screened out of seeing a ball on court can I use the flag to signal an issue and get him to blow play dead?
C.Would you bring the linesperson into the discussion to figure out what happened?
ANSWERS:
A. Absolutely not...there is no such thing as an automatic replay. If the ball-on had no effect on the play, it is ignored (which sounds like what happened in your situation.
B. Only if the ball-on affected the play. Otherwise, no.
C. Same answer as A & B...only if it caused a problem during the play.

Quote:
In my second match I had a jump server on my side of the court and couldn't rotate into the play fast enough to get a good look as to whether or not the ball had caught the line.What signal should I have used? I just waved my hands across my eyes to signal that I didn't get a look.
I take it you were back from the end line extended. If you had followed proper line judge mechanics, you would have been behind the server in line with the side line extended and had no problem. As it was, the proper signal without flags is to cross your wrists at chest level just like if you were using flags (see the LJ signals in the back of the NFHS Rules book).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)