View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 13, 2012, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Tournament Question

Hey all-
Today I was calling lines for a HS varsity coaching friend whose team was on the second of a two day tournament.The host school was using a three court set-up and during this match the far left and far right courts were used for matches while a team was warming up on the main court.

Match 1 Questions-
My match was on the far right court with one official working from the R1 position on the floor.I was calling the tableside line and during play a ball from the middle court rolled by me and onto the court.R1 was screened out and play continued while the ball rolled off the court.Without a flag I attempted to yell and get my R1's attention but to no avail.After the point R1 brings both captains to his position and has a fairly lengthy discussion with them about that play-I imagine about replay vs. accepting the result of the point.He ruled that the point stands as played without even asking for his linesmen's account of what happened.

Questions-
A.With a ball rolling onto your court from another court in a set-up such as this do you automatically whistle for a replay?
B.I worked this match without flags-In a flag scenario if my R1 is screened out of seeing a ball on court can I use the flag to signal an issue and get him to blow play dead?
C.Would you bring the linesperson into the discussion to figure out what happened?

In my second match I had a jump server on my side of the court and couldn't rotate into the play fast enough to get a good look as to whether or not the ball had caught the line.What signal should I have used? I just waved my hands across my eyes to signal that I didn't get a look.

Thanks for the replies-who has started postseason matches already?