View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Seems harsh compared to the fines for T's

You must get 16 technical fouls to pay $5k while the 2nd flop has the same fee attached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
On the 9th T, a player is fined $5,000 and on the 13 T and ever two after (15, 17, 19, etc.), a player is suspended (without pay) one game plus the $5,000.

I do agree the League is being a little more heavy handed with "floppers" because there's been a lot more fanfare and outcry from fans...especially with the really bad embellishments being replayed on ESPN hundreds of times a day.
I think it has to do with the fact that the flop is deliberately done with the purpose of deceiving the officials and is not attempting to play basketball. T's can be earned in an emotional response to a game situation.

The rules actually support a T in most rule sets (not sure about the NBA). If the officials would just call a few flops as T's, they would stop. But no one has the guts to do it. But, a lot of people here equivocate to no end about why they can't be sure it was a flop if there was some degree of contact. I can tell, even most fans can tell, it isn't hard. The real reason isn't that we can't tell (even though some will still stand by that) but it is that no one wants to be a pioneer in making the tough call.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Oct 04, 2012 at 01:33pm.