View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 12:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
But that's just it. Since I thought that ball was mine the whole way, I was watching F8 and the flight of the ball as I moved out towards the right side of the mound, assuming (incorrectly in this case) that my partner was going to button-hook in to take the BR. I didn't see my partner moving out until after the BR was on his way to second.

I guess Boo on me for not knowing the proper mechanic.
Wouldn't you still look at your partner and check to see if he went out? You do not need to watch the flight of the ball the entire way. It is going to take a few seconds for the ball to get out to the fielder even in the close play that was a line drive. And even if he buttoned hooked into the diamond, you still should be out behind home plate anyway. The only problem I have ever had not knowing what my partner was not going out is when they would do that teetering on the dirt and grass and that is why this is usually a pre-game item when I have not worked with someone. I tell them that if they go, goooo so I know what to do. This usually solves the problem and I cannot think of too many times where I did not know what my partner was doing. This is why a pre-game is valuable as you could even tell them what your expectations are before the game. Even if they followed the mechanic perfectly (which they did according to your post) you still can give situations that might help coverage and interject some philosophy into why you would want something done. And even if your partner did something not 100% right, you should not be so locked into the flight of the ball (which I almost never watch) that you cannot know what to watch based on the actions of your partner.

Peace