View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Follett
Well, It looks like I've got another umpire in the family; that being my 15 yr. old son. He's now called 2 player/coach pitch games all by himself, and has done amazingly well in both. Even people, who I'd never expect to compliment him, have taken time to let him (& me) know they think he's doing a good job. I'd like to think it's the result of all those "what-if" conversations he and I have had thru these last 9 years (since he's been playing ball). It'll be interesting to see how he handles the first real s**thouse, that comes his way, but that's just another part of it. I think he's gonna make it, and I couldn't be prouder.
Hey Mike, that's great! My 18 yr old son started reffing basketball about 4 yrs ago. I was in the gym waiting to drive him home when he T'ed up his first coach two seasons ago in a 4th grade rec game. He was great, gave him the stop sign, then told him he had heard enough, then he took him! I was so excited the league director almost threw me out until I apologized & explained who I was. This past February I worked a couple of games with him the weekend before he started his 3 month government sponsored trip to Parris Island. To him it was just $60, to me it was a bit more.