Thread: Timing Play
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Other than when putting the ball in play, or when going to your partner for help on a checked swing, I didn't know a point signal was an appropriate mechanic to begin with.

The reason I don't like to point is because I may point prematurely (poor timing), seeing what I thought was a tag, only to subsequently see the fielder lose possession of the ball. If I point, the fielder loses possession, then she regains possession and can still make the tag for an out, my point will be for naught when it comes to the timing of the run scoring.

And since I don't point when it comes to other tag plays, I don't want to get into a possible bad habit of doing so.
It's not complicated. I'm sure you have enough self control not to make a habit of it. We don't point every time on a checked swing, but it does come in handy. I don't point on every full swing now. It's a little over-cautious to think you couldn't do it correctly.

"TAG" does not imply anything other than the fact that there was ... a tag.

If the plate umpire hears "tag" before the runner crosses the plate and the out occurs (assuming they don't over-slide the base or anything odd that I have not seen in 3000 games), then no run. If "tag" occurs after the runner hits the plate, then score the run. If "tag" occurs before the runner crosses but there is no out, easy enough - continue the inning.

Give it a try. It's not at all difficult. I have full faith that even a first year umpire can say "tag" and not make a habit of it.