Thread: proper position
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If F4 has the ball and is reaching toward the runner, then the ball is outside the basepath and the BU belongs inside. Even if not outside the line from 1st to 2nd, there is no longer a possibility of interfering with a batted ball, so we have to cover the play. Still, coming from C, that's a tough angle and the overriding principle is never guess an out. Yes, you can guess a safe, have to if you don't know and you are not guessing an out. Reaching out is a lot different than a solid tag, so if F4 then throws to 2nd, it indicates that she needed to for the out and probably missed the tag. If F4 throws to 1st, she probably thinks she made the tag, but you still can't guess she did. If BU was a little to the right of F6 (probably shifting left), then being inside and even moving toward the tag play still allows time to shift or duck if F4 decides to throw to 3rd. For that matter, further in, so you are not in the line from F4 to 3rd, probably gives a better angle on both the tag and the force at 2nd.

Personally, I think 20 feet is too close to 2nd and would make getting in the way more likely. If you are that close, then staying outside and sighting a line from behind 2nd toward 1st might work, then hustle like mad to get the play at 1st unless your partner is alert enough to call you off. I'm uncomfortable with the concepts of using the basepath rule as a crutch and moving to convince the coach, although I firmly believe that presence adds credibility. Runners are allowed to veer as long as their feet don't go 3 feet (not measured in strides) from their original base path.

Yes, good timing is important. If you don't rush the call, you will see the reactions, the body language, and not be as likely to be stuck with a guess.