View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
I typically see restrictions that require something like a 6-3-2 or 5-4-2 defense, and each "layer" of the defensive burrito must be 1-2, 3-5, and some other distance from the LOS at the snap. Other leagues aren't so picky. I've never seen a youth league describe how far players have to be, but on-field coaches usually have a 15- or 20- yard minimum distance from the LOS.

If anyone hasn't seen a youth league's rules, or wants to know why the derision is so great among officials for the youth league rules books,this pdf file is one of the better-written ones in my area, and it's still a nightmare. It has violations for which no penalty is prescribed or enforcement recommended, it rules differences for the various divisions written together in paragraph form with no comparison charts or other logical assistance. It makes up "broadcaster terms" that aren't anywhere in the rules books, let alone defined anywhere, uses contradictory language, and has rules placed in the wrong location (check out 10.2 on page 22). And this is one of the BETTER youth rules sets.
Football's worse than the other 3 sports. I love rules like "Linebackers cannot blitz". WTF is that? I had one that said, "Holding will be scrutinized by the official." That's a rule? LOL. Yes, coach, I saw the holding ... and I scrutinized it real good. Another said tackles and guards may only shadow-block. With no definition of shadow-blocking and no inclusion of the center or any tight ends, etc. Another in the Linebackers Can't Blitz league said, and I quote, "Ball-carriers may only reverse field if necessary." I kid you not. (And of course ... no proscribed penalty should we decide a ball-carrier reversed field unnecessarily!) Crazy crazy stuff.

West Houston Mike