View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Most often, youth leagues have made-up rules that they've added to the book ... so regardless of the answers here, you'll likely have to go check those too.

That said, there is no rule along these lines in any standard rulebook (NFL, NCAA, NFHS, PopW), and no youth league I've ever worked restricted how far a RB could play off the line, and I can't think of a reason why a local league would want to.
I typically see restrictions that require something like a 6-3-2 or 5-4-2 defense, and each "layer" of the defensive burrito must be 1-2, 3-5, and some other distance from the LOS at the snap. Other leagues aren't so picky. I've never seen a youth league describe how far players have to be, but on-field coaches usually have a 15- or 20- yard minimum distance from the LOS.

If anyone hasn't seen a youth league's rules, or wants to know why the derision is so great among officials for the youth league rules books,this pdf file is one of the better-written ones in my area, and it's still a nightmare. It has violations for which no penalty is prescribed or enforcement recommended, it rules differences for the various divisions written together in paragraph form with no comparison charts or other logical assistance. It makes up "broadcaster terms" that aren't anywhere in the rules books, let alone defined anywhere, uses contradictory language, and has rules placed in the wrong location (check out 10.2 on page 22). And this is one of the BETTER youth rules sets.