Thread: Timing Play
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
That really doesn't answer Mike's question. He didn't ask who should have taken the play at third base.

For me, I go with what I can see from my position at home plate, and assume that the tag was made when it likely would have been made. Sometimes, waiting on your partner's signal is not a good idea because he/she could expand his/her timing aspect of the play (as Mike's partner did here).

As the umpire making the call that affects the timing of when a run scores, I don't do anything different. I don't point as soon as I see the tag, because the ball could come out of the fielder's glove right after I point, and my partner could be fooled by my signal. But I also don't wait and wait and then sell the out as Mike's partner did.
You're looking at the use of the point signal the wrong way.

Not speaking for Mike, but.....

If I were his BU on the play, my point signal would tell him (and both teams) that at that juncture I have a tag, I have not signaled an OUT yet. I'm going to use my regular timing to locate the ball, make sure its controlled (if necessary, I'll say "show me the ball") followed by an out or safe signal. If it's an out signal, Mike would then make the determination if the run scored before the tag was made on the runner. It's a two signal mechanic, but requires two distinct signals.

Keep in mind, the timing play signal we give each other means both the PU & BU have responsibilities on the play.

As BU, mine is to make sure my PU clearly knows when I have the tag on the runner, as that's when the out was recorded, not when I gave my Out signal. The timing on my part of the play at 3rd needs to be precise, to help his timing on his part of the play at HP.

Last edited by KJUmp; Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 10:39am.