View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 11:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just An Old Fashioned Guy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That's not an IAABO issue.
To a great extent, you are correct, however the IAABO mechanics manual just isn't as good as the old NFHS mechanics manual. The old NFHS mechanics were pretty definitive in wording, with no need for any individual interpretation. IAABO mechanics seem to be more "open" and allow more interpretation of the "guidelines".

Example A: Backcourt violation, with ball to be inbounded just one foot into the old backcourt, old trail's side. According to the old NFHS mechanics it was very clear that the old lead would run the length of the court to become the new lead. I don't believe that this is spelled out in the IAABO mechanics manual.

Example B: Lead out of bounds responsibilities. According to the old NFHS mechanics it was very clear that the lead would be responsible for the entire sideline all the way back to the backcourt endline, in both a transition game, and in the half court game. IAABO mechanics leave this open to interpretation, and never define responsibilities during the transition game.

Example C: Old NFHS mechanics dictated that the administering official on a throwin always used the "box in" principle, that is, official, ball, partner, always. IAABO mechanics make this optional.

Now keep in mind that I haven't looked at a NFHS mechanics manual in about ten years, and also keep in mind that Connecticut is basically a two person state.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 22, 2012 at 11:32am.