View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 28, 2003, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

This happened in a NFHS JV game tonight, but the mechanics issue s/b universal.

R1 on 1B, I am BU in "B", batter hits squiggler down 1B line, F3 touches ball on line and it heads into foul territory. I no longer have a play at 1B so I am going behind 2B toward 3B thinking I might have a call there.

R1 pulls up and retreats back to 2B as pitcher gets ball. Batter-Runner rounds 1B and steams into 2B. I move back towards 2B as ball is thrown to 2B. R1 gets back in safe and B-R is now heading back to 1B. Throw goes to F2 who is (I think) 5'-8' from 1B. B-R goes past F4 with a belly slide and F4 sweeps the glove down and tag B-R on the legs.

From my position near 2B I have a straight line thru F4 thru B-R - thru 1B. Obviously no angle at all. I saw the tag and looked at my partner but he wasn't making any signal so I finally made the call. Based on the immediate uproar from the offensive side (coaches, fans, players all on 1B side) I suspected that it wasn't the right call.

In the parking lot later he said that he was trying to (discretely) signal me with his arms down, but hands horizontal. I said that he should have taken the call.

So - who's call was it? If mine, should I have pointed and transferred the call to him? Should we have called time to discuss it? (Actually I was hoping the coach would request that I discuss it with my partner, claiming that I was out of position to make that call.)

WMB