View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Ok enlighten me. How can it be an attack if the offensive player wasn't directing the ball toward the other court? If I look at 5.1b I see:
"Attack — Any action other than a block or a serve that directs the ball toward the opponent's court. A team's third hit is always considered an attack. A completed attack occurs the instant the ball completely crosses the vertical plane of the net, or is legally contacted."

So if her action was to direct the ball away from the other teams court and it was only that teams second hit, how could it be considered an attack? Again I'm trying to learn here, my thought is if it isn't an attack by definition then it couldn't be an illegal back row attack. What am I missing?
For example, if the ball were in the plane of the net when contacted by her, then legally contacted by the blocker, regardless of her intent, it would be a completed attack, and thus, illegal by rule. Intent is not the consideration here, and shouldn't be the determining factor.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee