View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump View Post
Tigers vs. Sox tonight, I was listening on the radio and didn't see the play.

Runner on first, nobody out. Short pop-up to shortstop who tries a basket catch but muffs it and the ball pops out - onto the ground. They quickly toss the ball to 2nd but there is no throw back to 1st. Hold on though! Apparently (according to the radio guys at least) the umps called the infield fly rule???

They left R1 at first, and called the BR out. Anybody see this play and know what the REAL call was?
Pulled it up on the game video. Top 1, no outs, Jackson R1, Rayburn hits broken bat soft liner to SS. Looks like SS took his eye off the ball and it hits his glove and falls to the ground. U2 immediately points and calls time, SS tosses to 2B anyway but U2 is calling the batter out and tells R1 to stay at 1B. I wouldn't have had an intentional drop here but U2 did and he might know more about how well these guys can act especially if they want to replace fast R1 with the slow batter.
I couldn't get the audio turned off quick enough so I had to listen to the Sox announcers butcher whatever rule they thought it was.