View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
I would flag this. This isn't a natural motion, and is strictly being done to distract the defense. I would also flag swinging of the arms, if excessive, by the recievers. I would not flag a head turn or slight movements if not done in a manner to simulate the start of the play. This would be one of those "spirit of the rule" situations and not a "letter of the law" .
I hear you, but I don't see "distract the defense" as either the reason or a problem. Receivers and backs hand signal to each other all the time. Yes, this one is more blatant and more visible - but why in the world would it distract the defense or affect them at all. We don't make them reset every time someone turns a head or swings an arm. Only motion that simulated the snap should be flagged (excepting, of course, moving forward). I highly doubt that the spirit of the rule was to prevent this - it was done to let the defense be aware that the snap is imminent and to prevent any advantage. The 1-second stop does the former, and the actions described give no advantage.

West Houston Mike