View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
Well, let's start off with the fact that they got the call right - the foot was off the bag. Second, the HP umpire's job on that play is to go up first base line and watch to see that the foot is not pulled from the bag, so that was correct too.

Where they went wrong (in my opinion) is that instead of waiting for U1 to ask for help (which he should do if the question involves a pulled foot) and then allowing U1 to reverse his own call based on the new information, the HP ump immediately jumps in and "overrules" U1.

That just leads to more requests by HC to overrule other calls and gets the HP ump involved in every play. Next thing you know, you'll have Joe Maddon asking the HP ump to overrule a close call at 2B. Not good.
I agree with all of this except the first sentence. Frame by Frame - and there is one frame with the foot on the bag and ball just barely not in the glove, and the next frame has ball in the glove and foot just off the bag. It is inconclusive whether this was a correct call or not.

West Houston Mike