View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Nevada has four classifications of schools--single A through 4A, with 4A being the largest (over 1200 enrollment). The 4A Varsity games (both boys and girls) are the only games that are officiated with three-man during the regular season. The game fee is $43.75 per official. The other three classes are done with two officials during the regular season and pays each official $53.75. All games for all levels are done with three officials in the playoffs. Three man came in only four years ago in this state, mostly because the games played in Las Vegas needed it.
Hope this helps you.
I also have a couple of comments that I want to add about three-man here. Perhaps you can come up with a way to not let these things happen in your state, if you go to three whistle.
It is my belief that most officials in Nevada do not respect the areas of coverage in the three man system. Particularly the older officials who did the two man system for years fall back in the heat of the game to calling it like it is two man. This causes problems.
There is also a problem with how you train someone on the three man system since it is only used at the varsity level. What has happened is that the weaker/newer/younger officials are put on a lot of girls varsity games for the three man training. Hawks Coach is therefore exactly right on this point.