Thread: Social Media
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
From the umpire standpoint, I agree with you. I believe I could call a fair game between my brother as coach, my daughter and 8 of her friends on one team, and 10 people that set my cat on fire on the other side...
Are you kidding? My 4th year of umpiring (17yo), my brother was on a team and I had their game. I didn't think anything about it and did not hear that some people had a problem until after the game. However, I think those problems disappeared around the 4th inning when he struck out and started hollering at me like a brother. That lasted all of 3 seconds and I dumped him. Apparently, he though being my brother would get him some slack..........but no it did not. When he got home he whined to our parents about how mean I was. My old man told him I wasn't the one who didn't hit the ball and he should have kept his trap shut.

Never had a problem with him again.

Quote:
It's the perception standpoint I was referring to... I should have been more clear. Umpiring games where people you know you are publicly friends with are on one side can cause perceptional problems from other people.
The problem isn't social media, or the community association or, well, take your pick. The problem is the weak backbone people have in today's world. They cannot possibly lose, so it must be someone else's fault. It's like dealing with these moron politicians who don't have enough fingers to point out who is to blame for what, but seems like all thumbs when it comes to actually picking up a tool to fix the problem.