View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 10:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
It seems that it would be best for the WH to have this alignment as an option for the "expected" onside kick. Some schools (like Arkansas' Pulaski Academy) EXCLUSIVELY use the onside kick. Pulaski Academy Onside Kicks vs Cabot - Sept 9, 2011 - YouTube <-- These are all from one game, and PA was up 29-0 before their opponent made its first snap from scrimmage.

But discretion should be available to the WH who will be aware of the coaching styles, and can make an intelligent assessment of the game situation and what he needs to do. There is no need for a one-size-fits-all kickoff procedure.
I actually thought that the reverse would happen -- that they'd move more officials back to the goal line so that all officials could work forward. Put the R, U, and L across the goal line and then adjust forward if kicks were short.

But we just do as we're told. This is the new mechanic and we'll be using it. And I'll have to cover more of the field.

BTW, the R in this mechanic is to start on the numbers (or 9-yard-mark) on the chain side -- not the sideline.