Thread: "Prove It"
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

"Prove It"

Two times at this weekend's tournament we had coaches ask us to "prove it" in the rulebook.

Situation 1. - Team A has only two subs on the bench, both have already been in the game. The team's setter, on the floor, suddenly has a bloody nose and can't get it to stop. The team uses their 30 second injury time and the coach decides to use a full time out; his final one. At the completion of the time out he sends the 5 players back on the floor and insists that his team "is on the floor". We let him know that he can't play with 5 if he has an exceptional subs available. He starts to argue, insisting that we prove it to him in the rule book.

Situation 2 - Different team. A sub enters the substitution zone with taped earlobes. R2 points to the ears and the player says "Oh, I just got my ears pierced and they can't come out." Coach insists that tape over jewelry is acceptable and wants us to prove otherwise in the rule book.

I've heard coaches ask for this once or twice before...but never twice on the same day. What's your usual quick response to this request? (I know that a "challenge" time-out can be granted but only if the coach requests it)

Personally, I told them both - "Coach, you got a rule book this year too. I know the rule and I've made my ruling. Let's play!"