Thread: Obstruction?
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
While this particular example may not merit an obstruction call, there is another involving the tag-up of a fly ball. In some baseball rule sets, NCAA in particular and perhaps others, a fielder is not allowed to place himself in the line of sight between a runner tagging up, and another fielder catching a fly ball (think R1 at third tagging on a fly ball to F8, and F5 stands between R1 and F8).

While you may argue that the runner should be paying attention to the base coach and not looking to see when the fielder first touches the ball (and frankly, I support that argument), rules exist nonetheless to penalize the fielder with "visual obstruction" in this situation. Sounds to me that MrRabbit may be looking for something similar in ASA.
NCAA softball added such a rule under Fielder Obstruction for the 2012 season (9.4.2.3).

FWIW, as to the initial question raised in the OP, I believe NCAA may be the only organization that currently has a rule in their book covering that specific situation, (9.4.2.7).
Effect for the initial offense however, (unlike 9.4.2.3), is an OBS warning.